This page lists the deaths that have occurred due to class 3 grade 9's curse to the latest episode.
List of Deaths
Deaths are counted by the month they occur, as the "calamity" brings to death "one or more" of the individuals involved with class 3-3. They are named as "Death of (month)".
1972, Ritsuko Mikami's Class.
- Misaki Yomiyama - Died suddenly along with members of his family. Said to have died in a house fire or in a plane crash. He was the cause of the class curse; the first calamity leading to future deaths of the students, as well as their immediate family members, who are a part of 9th Grade Class 3.
1983, Reiko Mikami and Katsumi Matsunaga's Class
- Kyoko - Died from an illness on 12th April. She is someone's sister.
- Watanabe's relative - Died from an unknown reason on 9th May.
- Student - Died in an accident on 6th June.
- Student - Died in an accident on 13th June.
- Ikumi - Died from an illness on 23rd July. She is someone's sister.
- Ritsuko Sakakibara - Kouichi's mother and Reiko's older sister. Her cause of death is still unknown. In the original novel, she died of a sudden illness soon after Kouichi was born, while in the manga and anime she died of unknown complications following thereafter. In all instances, her death was a result of the curse. Her death wasn't documented as due to the curse until 1998.
- Jun Hamaguchi - Struck by lightning during the class trip on 9th August.
- Yuki Hoshikawa - Died by falling off the cliff during the class trip on 9th August.
Male students - 2; Female students - 2; Teachers - 0; Families - 4; Total - 8 (exclude the Dead). The marked class roster is shown and a person who can read Japanese can fill in the blanks here.
This year's calamity stopped on August. The extra student, a boy, is unnamed due to the calamity alteration.
1987, Teruya Sakaki's Class
- "Ni"-Died of unknown causes sometime after summer vacation.
- Yagisawa-Died of unknown causes sometime after summer vacation.
- Hinako Sakaki-Died in mid-June of heart failure; she was Teruya's mother.
- Unnamed Deaths and Causes:
Someone's grandmother died near the start of term; it's not clear if this itself was part of the Calamity. An unnamed female student committed suicide by jumping off the school building. Several students and the Head Teacher were killed in a bus accident on the Class Trip.
Male students: 1+ Female students: 1+ Teacher: 1 Families: 1+ Total: 12+. The extra student is Satsuki Shinomiya.
- Mami Asakura - Died from unknown causes; she was the extra in 1996.
Male students: ? Female students: 1+ Teacher: ? Families: ? Total: 12+. The extra student is Misaki Yomiyama.
- Shogo Ikenori - Died from an illness on 20th September.
- Kazuma Akazawa - Committed suicide in his room. He is Izumi Akazawa's elder brother.
- Mikami Reiko / Mikami-Sensei - Died from drowning in the river while being pursued by an unknown assailant a year and half ago. Later, she was resurrected as the Dead of 1998.
- Akiko Okutsu - Died in an accident on 3rd November. She is Okutsu's sister.
- Masashi Hashimoto - Died in an accident on 17th December. He is Hashimoto's father.
- Shinobu Ono - Killed by someone on 29th January.
- Yuuko Matsuda - Committed suicide on 20th February.
- Akira Yamamoto - Died from unknown reason in March.
Male students: 4 Female students: 1 Teacher: 1 Families: 2 Total: 8
This year's calamity started in September, after the non-existent student rejected his role. The extra one is Mami Asakura.
- Sakuma - Commited suicide when the new year started.
This year's calamity started in the 2nd semester. The extra one is Mami Asakura.
1998, the current year of the story.
- Misaki Fujioka - The first death, the "Death of April". She is Mei's twin sister although they lived in separate households that weren't close. Mei had discovered they were sisters only recently. In describing this to Kouichi Sakakibara, Mei said she had earlier referred to her sister as her cousin in an effort to deny or avoid invoking the calamity. Misaki Fujioka in the novel died after a kidney transplant. In the anime OVA she dies from leukemia.
- Mieko Sakuragi - Died in a car accident in the same day as her daughter, Yukari.
- Yukari Sakuragi - Fell and dropped her umbrella when she stumbled running down a flight of stairs on May 26th. She was impaled by her umbrella through the throat. The witnesses were forced to make a promise to never speak of it again because it was too gruesome for everyone to bear. She and her mother are the "Deaths of May."
- Sanae Mizuno - Died when the old elevator she was in snapped its cords, which caused it to fall and crash into the 2nd basement. The force of the descent caused Sanae to fall face first onto the floor, shattering her skull and probably killing her instantly; the elevator collapsed in on itself immediately afterward and crushed her body. It happened on June 3rd. Her younger brother Takeru Mizuno was a student in the class, thus she was at risk. She and Ikuo are the "Deaths of June."
- Ikuo Takabayashi - He died from a heart attack on June 6th. He is one of the "Deaths of June" along with Sanae Mizuno. He was good friends with Yuuya Mochizuki
- Shoji Kubodera - The class teacher. He committed suicide by stabbing himself in the neck with a kitchen knife in front of the class, Monday July 13th. He also killed his elderly mother a little earlier.
- Junta Nakao - Apparently from a stroke and stroke-induced drowning before a speeding boat hit him, chopping his body into pieces. At first, the others thought he wouldn't die while outside the city, but he did, meaning the curse had expanded its boundaries. However, it was later learned he'd hit his head while leaving his house that morning, giving him an aneurysm (a burst blood vessel in his brain) (hence his car sickness), which had reached criticality as he swam after the beachball. Junta was dead before the boat hit his body. This death does not happen in the original novel; instead, Junta was killed by Keiko Numata at the Inn. Likewise, in the manga, he dies in the fire.
- Atsushi Ogura - Brother of Yumi Ogura, he was a recluse who stayed at home. He died by being crushed to death by an excavator that crashed into his house.
- Aya Ayano - While leaving Yomiyama with her parents in their family car, a rock fell and hit the windshield, causing her father to lose control and drive off the mountain road on the worse, downslope, side.
- Kensaku Numata - Murdered by his wife, Keiko.
- Yumi Ogura - Fell from the second story of the inn while pursuing Mei and Kouichi. She was killed instantly, her neck broken on impact. This is taken from Izumi Akazawa's death in the novel, as Yumi survived in that version.
- Makoto Ouji - Killed instantly by the back-draft from the dining room fire.
- Takako Sugiura - Driven insane by the Calamity and tried to stab and kill Mei, but she missed and was strangled to death by loose electrical wires following the explosion that killed Makoto. In the original novel, she was murdered by Keiko Numata, and in the manga, she was asphyxiated by the fire at the Inn.
- Kyouko Kaneki - Murdered by Tomohiko Kazami, who stabbed her in the spine, while she was trying to escape with Aki Matsui.
- Keiko Numata - Killed by Chibiki when he was defending Teshigawara and Mochizuki. She and her husband were grandparents of Ikuo Takabayashi, who died in June.
- Kenzou Kawahori - Crushed to death by a falling pillar while trying to escape the house after three of the students he was running with were trapped by a falling chandelier.
- Aki Matsui - Murdered by Tomohiko Kazami, who stabbed her in the neck, while she was begging Kouichi for help.
- Tomohiko Kazami - Hit over the head by Izumi Akazawa in retaliation for his own murder of Kyouko and Aki, as well as to protect Kouichi. Chibiki prevented her from beating Tomohiko to death, but one blow was enough.
- Izumi Akazawa - Mortally wounded by flying glass shards following a lightning strike while trying to kill Mei. In the novel, she broke her back after being caught in an explosion while trying to escape Keiko Numata; in the film, she is decapitated by a mooring cable while pursuing Mei.
(Male students: 5 Female students: 7 Teacher: 1 Families: 9 Total: 22)
This year's calamity started in April and stopped on August. The extra one was Reiko Mikami.
- Extra notes:
- 1998's Extra was killed by Sakakibara with a pickaxe after he had been informed by Mei; this is only the second recorded time where the Calamity has been stopped prematurely by "sending the dead back to death."
- Teruya Sakaki, a survivor of the 1987 Calamity, died in his home on May 3 of 1998; however, as he was outside Yomiyama and no longer directly connected to Class 3-3, his death may not have counted as part of the Calamity of 1998.
Deaths in the Manga and the Original Novel
A: only in anime
M: only in manga
N: only in novel
*: This year "another"
|Deaths of April||Deaths of May||Deaths of June||Deaths of July||Deaths of August|
|Misaki Fujioka||Yukari Sakuragi||Sanae Mizuno||Kubodera's Mother||Kensaku Numata (N)|
|Mieko Sakuragi||Ikuo Takabayashi||Mr. Kubodera||Manabu Maejima (M,N)|
|Izumi Akazawa (A,N)|
|Atsushi Ogura (A,N)||Takako Sugiura (N,M)|
|Kazuma Akazawa (M)||Shigeki Yonemura (N,M)|
|Junta Nakao (A)||Junta Nakao (N,M)|
|Reiko Mikami (N,M,*)|
|Keiko Numata (N)|
During the opening for Another there are brief shots of characters from the series appearing in grainy, film-like picture. When a character dies, they are replaced with a new character.
- Following Episode 8, it has been rumored that the third and fourth characters to appear in this segment are doomed to die, as they were once filled with Yukari Sakuragi and Ikuo Takabayashi.
- When Sakuragi died in Episode 3, she was replaced with Junta Nakao who died in Episode 8. Junta was then replaced by Noboru Saruta and Makoto Ouji. Then Makoto died in episode "Makeup", they were replaced by Tomohiko Kazami.
- The same happened for Takabayashi, who died in Episode 5 and was replaced with Manabu Maejima. However, the fourth slot is not the "cursed" one, as though Manabu was critically injured by Keiko Numata at the inn, he survived the anime, though his character was killed there in the novel and manga.
- The last position instead chooses an adult from the series, which originally used to be Sanae Mizuno. When she died in Episode 4, she was replaced with Mr. Kubodera who died in Episode 7. He has been replaced with Mikami-Sensei.
- After Yumi Ogura died in episode 11, she was replaced by Matsuko Arita.
- After Aya Ayano died in Episode 9 she is replaced with Kyouko Kaneki and Aki Matsui
- After Takako died in episode 11, she was replaced by Sayuri Kakinuma. Oddly, Sayuri has Takako's design from the manga.
- All of these revisions reverted to their originals in the OVA, as none of the characters were dead at that point.
- Kouichi, Mei, Chibiki and Naomi all have opening-style artwork, despite never actually appearing in the opening.
|#||Ep. 1 to 3+OVA||Ep .4||Ep. 5||Ep. 6||Ep. 7||Ep. 8||Ep. 9||Ep. 10||Ep. 11||Ep. 12||Names|